Continued from Tri Gear. Egads. Stuff for Bike and Run.
- *Running shoes – plan on going through a few pair a year as volume increases. And don’t be cheap.
- *Running hat – sweat management
- Running shorts – I guess not critical, but sure a lot more comfortable than running in gym shorts.
- (eventually) Hydration – some sort of bottles and/or belt system to carry water as training run distance increases
- Road bike – training and races with serious climbing. Last year I used my beloved old Pinarello with reasonable success for training and racing.
- *Tri bike – At my level this is pretty optional, but I stumbled into a sale and got all excited…
- *[Tri] bike fit – You aren’t going to be happy — or fast — on your bike without a good fit
- *Tri bike hydration – for now I just added a couple inexpensive carbon water bottle holders. Eventually I may incorporate something more aero/tri-focused
- *Power meter – I bought a set of Garmin power pedals (the cheaper version with a meter just on one side) for use when training outside
- *Smart Trainer – I went with a Garmin Tacx Flow smart trainer. Smart trainers are great for training with power inside.
- *Axle Adapter – Have to spend extra money to get a bike with disc brakes mounted to a trainer.
- *Trainer tire – Don’t want to burn down my outdoor tires on the trainer so swapped the rear tire to a purpose built trainer tire (very hard yet “grippy” to work better with the trainer’s rotating surface)
- *Software subscription – Got the smart trainer, now you need something to push it. I purchased a Zwift subscription since it integrates so easily with TrainingPeaks.com for my coach’s bike workouts.
- Helmet – mandatory and necessary. The cool kids are rocking various level of aero styles. I’m not quite there yet but maybe next year?
- Bike shoes, clips, bike shorts, chamois cream, etc.